TNNWC ENTREPRENEURIAL PUBLICATIONS

TNNWC Publications And Informational Products Division publishes The National Networker (TNNWC) Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report especially for entrepreneurs and early-stage venturers; free weekly subscriptions to these informative publications are available online to all entrepreneurial Members of TNNWC.

Membership in TNNWC is free (it's automatic for any subscriber to any TNNWC Publication) and available at our website. When you arrive there, just click on any of the JOIN US or BECOME a MEMBER buttons or links.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

When Networking, Don't Be The Mouth

By Danielle Lum

Hawaii Bureau Chief

I was invited to attend a meeting. There were about 15 people there, of which I knew maybe three people. A great networking opportunity ever I've seen one!

The beginning of the meeting was open networking around a tray of sushi, shrimp and chips and dips. In networking fashion I met people, made connections and traded business cards.

I met some very nice people, and enjoyed the give and take of "what do you do?" and "how is your business doing in this economy?"

Enter The Mouth.

We all know The Mouth. You know, the person who won't stop talking about him or herself. How many times have we wanted to run, screaming, in the other direction when we see The Mouth coming? I know I can't count that high.

Anyway, I was in a two-way conversation when The Mouth edged her way into our sphere. We were talking about our businesses and people we knew in comment; there was give and take. She listened to me. I listened to her. It was quite pleasant actually.

It all changed when The Mouth joined us. The conversation switched to The Mouth. What The Mouth does, how great The Mouth is, how The Mouth single-handedly whipped Hawaii's economy into shape. I swear she didn't take a breath long enough for either of us to speak.

I was happy when the meeting got started because I finally had a way to politely excuse myself from The Mouth.

True to form, though, The Mouth dominated the meeting. She told of her experiences, viewpoint, and opinions. It was exhausting, and actually lengthened the meeting by at least 30 minutes. I could see rolling eyes around the meeting table as The Mouth droned on and on.

So today's lesson is simple: Don't Be The Mouth

Networking is about making connections. Finding what you have in common so the next time you see the person you're positively memorable. It means talking, asking questions, and more importantly, listening to the answers. Let the person you're connecting with be part of the conversation. Be a participant in the conversation, not the dominator.

You may be great at what you do, or you might be the expert on the topic of conversation. However, bombarding others with your brilliance at a networking function will earn you The Mouth status. If you really need to make a point or feel your insights or expertise would be valuable for the person with whom you are talking, arrange a follow up meeting or coffee.

You will make a better first impression and you'll get a second chance to make a connection.

I find that the people who leave me with the best impression are those who can hold a balance conversation. They ask as many questions as they answer and talk as much as they listen. It's easy to talk with them. Effortless. Connecting is easy because they make it easy to do so.

The choice is yours. Do you want to be The Mouth or leave a favorable impression.

________________________________________________________

Posted to THE NATIONAL NETWORKER. To subscribe for your free newletter, go to www.TheNationalNetworker.com. For the complete National Networker Relationship Capital Toolkit and a free RSS feed, go to: http://thenationalnetworkerweblog.blogspot.com.

Forward/Share This Article With Colleagues And Social Media:
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danielle:

This happened to me, too! Back when people were selling the gas additive. A lady I'd never met before swooped in on me at a function and had an application out for me to sign before I even had a chance to say "hello". I told her I didn't own a car, but that didn't matter to her. She said surely I knew people with cars. She held her pen out for me to sign, but I reached for a cup of coffee instead. I was about to ask her if she was quite sane, but she moved on to someone else. She hit on everyone in the room, got no sales, and left noisily during the speaker's address. She wasn't just the Mouth; she was the Nerve.

Aloha,
Sandy McKee

Anonymous said...

Hello, Danielle:

Great artcle. Most importantly, written with a great scence of humor and non-cranky. I think it's a good reminder for all of us not only to spot a Mouth and runaway, but to atke a good look at ourselves and make sure that we are not becoming one at any given situation.
Bravo, Danielle!
Valentina Kiselev

MR said...

Excellent article!!

Mike Roura

Blog Archive

BNI News Feed

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy
The Emergence of the Relationship Economy features TNNWC Founder, Adam J. Kovitz as a contributing author and contains some of his early work on The Laws of Relationship Capital. The book is available in hardcopy and e-book formats. With a forward written by Doc Searls (of Cluetrain Manifesto fame), it is considered a "must read" for anyone responsible for the strategic direction of their business. If you would like to purchase your own copy, please click the image above.

Knowledge@Wharton













Site Credits:


Featured in Alltop
ALLTOP Business
News Wire. HOT.
Cool Javascript codes for websites
KeepandShare.com(R)  Fabulous Free Calendars

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com