TNNWC ENTREPRENEURIAL PUBLICATIONS

TNNWC Publications And Informational Products Division publishes The National Networker (TNNWC) Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report especially for entrepreneurs and early-stage venturers; free weekly subscriptions to these informative publications are available online to all entrepreneurial Members of TNNWC.

Membership in TNNWC is free (it's automatic for any subscriber to any TNNWC Publication) and available at our website. When you arrive there, just click on any of the JOIN US or BECOME a MEMBER buttons or links.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

REAL ESTATE ...AND OTHER THINGS OF VALUE: Sometimes: Just Walk Away

Real Estate...and Other Things of Value

with Yossi Feigenson


I have finally arrived. I am now among the legions of great authors, novelists and essayists. I can put my name alongside them. What a monumental achievement to be in this illustrious company. Nope, I wasn't discovered up by a publishing house and given a three book contract. Nor have I written a groundbreaking bestseller. For the last few weeks I have merely suffered a severe case of writer’s block. I simply refuse to write. It’s not a lack of ideas. Not a lack of subjects to write about either. In simple words, it’s an intrinsic inability to put pen to paper.


I recently travelled on a lengthy plane ride. And, I had visions of writing deep into the night, high above the Pacific Ocean, while my fellow passengers slept. I had pad and pen all ready. I would fill up volumes. My thoughts would flow and the prose would be like nothing I had written before. Alas, nothing happened. Not a single word was written. Once at my destination I thought I would write about all my experiences; to record and document all I’d see. Not a word. I thought when I would return I would write about all the wonderful things I'd seen and felt during my travels; Still nothing. For full disclosure, I did scratch out one article but that was due to the fact that I have a writing obligation to The National Networker, who so graciously publishes me.


So how do you break the spell? And what does this obstruction mean and what does it represent?


I've always been told when you’re a bit frozen and not sure of how to proceed, just do what you know. Regardless of how you may think at the moment, action is the most important thing. Just push through whatever is blocking you. Be it fear, laziness, disinterest, disillusionment. Get through it.


What to write about? It doesn’t matter. The important thing: just write. Don’t think about it, simply write from the heart.


Lori Williams, an attorney from Michigan, who is one of my “online networking friends”, wrote this to me recently in an email regarding writing: “Yep, I believe that type of writing is inspired and authentic and that’s why it flows. Not everyone will relate to it, but you/I/any author has done our part when we write from the heart.” When you feel blocked, allow it to come from the heart, the words will flow much better and often write themselves. But, what do you write about?


Perhaps, here is the problem. There are often things that are being experienced that don’t want to find expression in words. Maybe, you’ve run out of inspiring and uplifting words? There may be confusion, and the point of writing is to enlighten, not to confound.


For many, across many industries, it’s been a very trying 12-18 months. I know this because I'm an avid networker and meet lots of professionals and sales people. I’ve heard many stories from a wide range of professionals; attorneys, architects, real estate brokers, mortgage brokers, retail store owners, restaurant owners, manufacturers, consultants, and just about anyone across all professions, about how this has been a period of time that far exceeds any previous difficulties in the past.


In my writing I like to look at a challenge, see it for what it is and find ways to use it to catapult us to more action, to improvement. To see a difficulty as a blessing of sorts, one that is placed there for us to learn from and grow through. That's the motto I live by.


However, you don't always have the words. When you've exhausted all words, when every conceivable idea has been tapped into, when you feel dry of any resource to improve what is the next move? The same question can be asked about your business. What is the next move?

Jump ship? Not entirely practical. If you are a bit older than fresh out of college, as some of us are the job market isn’t so hot. Your amazing skill sets don't count like they used to.


At this point the one thing left to do is reach deep within ourselves and understand that there are things that are beyond our control. We need to gain the understanding that we don't have all the answers; that as much as we try, if it’s not there it’s not there.


After hundreds of hours of thinking, meeting, strategizing, coming up with new approaches to marketing, new approaches to clients, new systems and renewed commitment to getting “out there”, you realize that this may a time period that is beyond what you can change.


How long can you go on questioning and doubting yourself? That's an unhealthy counter productive behavior. Negative thinking and constant “self analysis” leads to too much inward examination and not enough outward action. Becoming too self obsessed with what you may be doing right or may be doing wrong, especially when results are at less than optimum, can lead to complete disillusionment and ultimately burnout; from which it’s tough to recover and regain your vitality.


In discussions with several people whom I admire and hold in high esteem, this is the message that we need to heed: You need to stop obsessing about each and every thing. You need to stop letting your mind be so overwhelmed with everything you may be lacking. Your conscious mind needs to take a rest from it all. Allow your inner voice to begin taking its place. Somehow, keep doing what you know works. And allow for something to unconsciously happen.


Sometimes, when I’m anxiously waiting for a phone call from a client or a business associate, regarding a business matter, I simply go out for a walk, stop focusing on it. Inevitably, each time I do that the phone rings.


So I needed to put the pen down for a while. Something was telling me to step away and not think. It was time to NOT try and make sense of everything; to NOT attempt to find all the answers; to NOT try and uplift and motivate. But rather, to let it be. Only after that can you come back and pick up where you left off, with, perhaps, a new perspective, or at least, some renewed vigor.


For more information, please visit Yossi's TNNW Bio.


COMMENT On This Article!

FREE NEWSLETTER

Published by THE NATIONAL NETWORKER Newsletter. All rights reserved. Subscribe Free For Your TNNW Newsletter and THE BLUE MONDAY REPORT! - Click HERE.
The National Networker Companies

Forward/Share This Article With Colleagues And Social Media:
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Blog Archive

BNI News Feed

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy
The Emergence of the Relationship Economy features TNNWC Founder, Adam J. Kovitz as a contributing author and contains some of his early work on The Laws of Relationship Capital. The book is available in hardcopy and e-book formats. With a forward written by Doc Searls (of Cluetrain Manifesto fame), it is considered a "must read" for anyone responsible for the strategic direction of their business. If you would like to purchase your own copy, please click the image above.

Knowledge@Wharton













Site Credits:


Featured in Alltop
ALLTOP Business
News Wire. HOT.
Cool Javascript codes for websites
KeepandShare.com(R)  Fabulous Free Calendars

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com