TNNWC ENTREPRENEURIAL PUBLICATIONS

TNNWC Publications And Informational Products Division publishes The National Networker (TNNWC) Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report especially for entrepreneurs and early-stage venturers; free weekly subscriptions to these informative publications are available online to all entrepreneurial Members of TNNWC.

Membership in TNNWC is free (it's automatic for any subscriber to any TNNWC Publication) and available at our website. When you arrive there, just click on any of the JOIN US or BECOME a MEMBER buttons or links.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

DEEPENING NETWORKING THROUGH RELATIONSHIPS: Lessons from Busy Networking Professionals

Deepening Networking Through Relationships with Christine Sotmary M.S., L.Ac., CPC


I learned back in the early 1970's that moving to a new place and starting all over again was no fun unless I was able to quickly make friends. Sometimes I would feel comfortable socializing with my co-workers and sometimes my interests would lead me to new contacts like the time I joined a women's softball team and was surprised to meet musicians and theater buffs like myself.


When I moved to Peekskill, New York I had a dilemma on my hands. I was the full time caregiver for my partner who was afflicted with Alzheimer's disease and wasn't getting out of the house very much. I also had 3 businesses to manage and needed to network in my new area and find some local clients. How was I to make new contacts and meet new friends?


That's when I met Barb Bodnar. We were at a local jam session, she was in the audience and I was playing jazz bass. I had taken Alan, my partner, with me and he was happily enjoying the music, sitting in the audience next to Barb. When I sat down, little did I know how much my life was about to change. As Barb and I began talking and I described a little about myself, she immediately had suggestions, referrals and offered more support than I ever imagined could come from one person. She recommended networking groups for my businesses and Rotary for my need to find a connection to my community. She knew everyone in town and whenever I mentioned something I might need, she had a name and a phone number ready for me.


Fast forward to 3 years later. My sweetie has left this planet and now Barb and I are fast friends. We network like crazy locally at live meetings, BNI breakfasts, Chamber events, or more recently online with social networking groups.


She is a residential real estate broker and has many wonderful, qualified people that she works closely with: stagers, inspectors, lawyers, mortgage brokers, bankers and the list goes on. She is always the first to volunteer to chair a committee for the Peekskill Rotary and is planning the club’s 90th Anniversary celebration.


I recently asked Barb for her ideas about networking and relationship building as they relate to her business and social life and this is what she said.



Barb's rules


· Relationships underpin who we are, whether they be with family, friends, work associates, mates. They require nurturing and will change over time.


· All kinds of relationships offer the opportunity to network. This is why it is important not to dismiss how a friend, or family member, for example, can further your goals.


· Don’t dismiss the opportunity to network for fear that it will be interpreted as seeking personal gain. Give first without expecting to receive and it will come back ten fold.


· Fruitful networking is not about how many people you know but the quality of your “database.” What’s important is the ability to individualize those contacts, bearing in mind who might be helpful to you and in what way.


· Be open to business relationships blossoming into personal friendships.


· When “our cards are right” we do business with people whom we’ve learned to trust. We can then feel confident they will treat our referrals respectfully and reflect well on us.


Barb is a busy gal around town, is completely plugged in to modern technology and still finds time to meet with people for social events. She told me this story to illustrate how her networking with friends has come back and supported her in her business.


Some years ago, she was having dinner with an attorney friend who was also a client. Her friend introduced her to a man who was a commercial broker, appraiser and a property manager. Barb, a residential real estate agent, and her new acquaintance became friends over the next several years.


As the friendship grew, her new friend began to refer residential business to her. Depending on the situation, Barbara would work with the new client on her own, or she and her broker friend would share the referral. One cooperative venture resulted in the sale of 8 units for one client followed by another 6 with a referral for the initial attorney. Both friends were pleased.


Today, their friendship and their business relationship endure because it is one based on trust, integrity and good will.


Like Barb, I have been able to leverage many of my relationships into clients for my businesses. Earning their trust and showing my interest in what I can do for them comes first. A licensed acupuncturist, I have been able to help many stressed out friends with acupuncture when they start to feel overwhelmed. Others feel exhausted all the time and might need to know what foods to eat. That's when I'll do my Metabolic Testing. Still other busy networkers I encounter need help with time management in their work lives so and we'll do some Life Coaching to find some balance in their lives.


I recently wrote a memoir, "Living On the Verge of Insanity: loving lessons learned from my sweetie's early-onset Alzheimer's disease," and sent it to the printer. I was able to send announcements to people I have built relationships with over the years and the orders are already coming in. I am now focusing on coaching and talking with caregivers who need to be inspired to receive as much as they give including our utmost respect. More on that in the coming months.


One of my important rules is that I am never too busy for a conversation or a chance to meet a friend. I consider relationship building the top of my to do list.


For more information you can sign up for my 3 newsletters or contact me at:

www.gotbetterhealth.com

www.gotcoaching.com

www.manhattanmetabolic.com

www.acucoach.com

You can also read more at my 2 blogs:

www.sotmary.com

www.metabolicmatters.com

You can also purchase my book at:

www.livingontheverge.com


Barb can be reached at:

Barbara Bodnar, Associate Broker CRS SRES GRI ABR

ColdwellBanker Residential Brokerage

www.barbarabodnar.net

914-649.2018

"Real Estate with Heart"


___________________________________________________________

Posted to THE NATIONAL NETWORKER. To subscribe for your free newsletter, go to www.TheNationalNetworker.com. For the complete National Networker Relationship Capital Toolkit and a free, continuous RSS feed (available either by traditional RSS or by direct email), go to: http://thenationalnetworkerweblog.blogspot.com. You are also invited to click our buttons:
The NATIONAL NETWORKER Toolkit
TNNW WEBSITE
Forward/Share This Article With Colleagues And Social Media:
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christine -

What your article describes is a person who connects with others without judgment. I have found all too often in my life, those that will "write off" people based upon the folks they "think" that person knows, despite whether or not there is something else in common (like, in your story, music being the common denominator). The truly effective networkers will connect with those with whom there is any type of connection that can be built upon and then let things develop over time.

Kudos to you on sharing this story and accentuating what actually works.

Blog Archive

BNI News Feed

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy
The Emergence of the Relationship Economy features TNNWC Founder, Adam J. Kovitz as a contributing author and contains some of his early work on The Laws of Relationship Capital. The book is available in hardcopy and e-book formats. With a forward written by Doc Searls (of Cluetrain Manifesto fame), it is considered a "must read" for anyone responsible for the strategic direction of their business. If you would like to purchase your own copy, please click the image above.

Knowledge@Wharton













Site Credits:


Featured in Alltop
ALLTOP Business
News Wire. HOT.
Cool Javascript codes for websites
KeepandShare.com(R)  Fabulous Free Calendars

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com