TNNWC ENTREPRENEURIAL PUBLICATIONS

TNNWC Publications And Informational Products Division publishes The National Networker (TNNWC) Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report especially for entrepreneurs and early-stage venturers; free weekly subscriptions to these informative publications are available online to all entrepreneurial Members of TNNWC.

Membership in TNNWC is free (it's automatic for any subscriber to any TNNWC Publication) and available at our website. When you arrive there, just click on any of the JOIN US or BECOME a MEMBER buttons or links.

Friday, February 26, 2010

BEYOND THE CUBICLE - CORPORATE CULTURE: Dear Boss


Beyond the Cubicle - Corporate Culture with Teri Aulph


This is a cautionary tale about how easy it is to allow the downturn in the economy, added pressure, fewer resources and other factors to negatively impact your management style and, ultimately, the culture of your work environment.

Dear Boss,

I appreciate working here and am thankful to have a job. I like the people I work with and care about them. I listen to you and try to please you when given the opportunity. Here is what I need you to know:

I’m not sure you are aware, but my name is Bob. I am married, my wife’s name is Cheryl and we have a new baby girl. Her name is Zoe. We bought our first home this year, right before the death of my mother. You have never called me by my name or asked me about who I am. As a result, I don’t feel like I matter.

When I am in your office to discuss work and you choose to type, read email and/or take phone calls, I don’t feel like you are interested in what I’m saying. As a result, I don’t feel valued.

When we launched the new product last Fall I was very excited. At my former company, we tried some cutting edge marketing strategies that were very successful. I emailed these to you as a suggestion, but you never replied. As a result, I felt invisible.

I have never been late to work. The only time I have missed work was 2 days when my new daughter was born and 3 days when my mother passed away. I eat at my desk and usually use this time to read and respond to my email. During the new product launch, I worked 1-2 hours late every day for 3 weeks and most Saturdays, as the whole launch team did. You never recognized those of us on the team who put in the extra time to make the launch a success. As a result, we were de-motivated.

Due to financial constraints and the down economy, we have downsized our employee population. Those of us who remain are expected to take up the slack and do more with fewer resources. My team has been meeting to explore the most effective way to get the work done and balance the workload. When we asked to meet with you to discuss our ideas, you were too busy. As a result, our team morale is very low.

The work our team did to make the product launch did not go unnoticed by our competition. I have been approached to work for a competitor. This position is a promotion and starts at a higher salary. I realize I would not be afforded this opportunity if I had not been an integral part of a team working on a high profile product. However, if I choose to stay, I run the risk of never being mentored or coached by an effective leader who is interested in developing the talent around which he/she is surrounded. I owe it to myself to do what is best for my family and my career. As a result, I am resigning.

I wish the best for you and hope you discover that YOU are an important part of the process. You never understood that we were waiting for you to show up; we were waiting for you to lead.

Best regards,

Bob


For more information, please visit Teri's TNNW Bio.





THIS ARTICLE--THIS AUTHOR--YOUR FEEDBACK

(1) If you would like to post a comment on this article for this author and for other readers to see, or if you would like to read the comments which have been posted by others, simply scroll down to the very bottom of this article (where it says "Posted by...") and click on the small text hyperlink that says "comments": a pop-up window will open which shows all of the comments posted by others. At the end of the other posts, there is a textbox for you to post your own comment.
(2) If you would prefer to contact the author in confidence, or to write at greater length regarding reciprocal links, special projects or professional issues, simply click on the button in this box labeled "CONTACT AUTHOR," and a pop-up form will magically appear for your use. It even allows you to include web and blog urls, downloads and attachments of all sorts.
(3) If you have not yet become a Member of THE NATIONAL NETWORKER COMPANIES (there is no charge), you should do that using the buttons below. Click on FREE NEWSLETTER button to start the process; then choose either the RSS Feed or the Daily Email delivery option.


Contact Author
Join TNNWC
Free Newsletters
Daily Email Extra
Total RSS Feed
BACKTALK! ™




*Follow TNNW on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TNNW_BUZZWORKS
*Published by TNNWC. All rights reserved.*Join our GICBC and receive Your TNNW Newsletter and THE BLUE TUESDAY REPORT! - Click HERE
The National Networker Companies




Forward/Share This Article With Colleagues And Social Media:
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Blog Archive

BNI News Feed

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy
The Emergence of the Relationship Economy features TNNWC Founder, Adam J. Kovitz as a contributing author and contains some of his early work on The Laws of Relationship Capital. The book is available in hardcopy and e-book formats. With a forward written by Doc Searls (of Cluetrain Manifesto fame), it is considered a "must read" for anyone responsible for the strategic direction of their business. If you would like to purchase your own copy, please click the image above.

Knowledge@Wharton













Site Credits:


Featured in Alltop
ALLTOP Business
News Wire. HOT.
Cool Javascript codes for websites
KeepandShare.com(R)  Fabulous Free Calendars

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com