TNNWC ENTREPRENEURIAL PUBLICATIONS

TNNWC Publications And Informational Products Division publishes The National Networker (TNNWC) Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report especially for entrepreneurs and early-stage venturers; free weekly subscriptions to these informative publications are available online to all entrepreneurial Members of TNNWC.

Membership in TNNWC is free (it's automatic for any subscriber to any TNNWC Publication) and available at our website. When you arrive there, just click on any of the JOIN US or BECOME a MEMBER buttons or links.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

U.S., HAWAII: A Lesson From My Oldest Friends

By Danielle Lum
Hawaii Bureau Chief

I was recently pulled, kicking and screaming, into the world of Facebook. “I have 200 contacts on LinkedIn!” I cried, “Why do I need to be on Facebook? It’s a waste of time.”

But a friend convinced me that I would have fun on Facebook, so since I’m always out to have a little fun, I set up a page. Rudimentary information only: Name, schools, jobs, etc. Nothing that I wouldn’t mind sharing with a couple million people.

Within 24 hours, I had 60 friend requests. Not business contacts, but friends from elementary school, from previous jobs, and from college. I decided Facebook would be my “let off some steam and let my hair down” world. No business contacts, only friends from days gone by.

I like to think that I’m pretty good at keeping in contact with friends. About once a month I go out for drinks and revelry with people I went to school with starting when I was just five years old. I go hiking with high school classmates at least twice a month, and I communicate on a pretty regular basis with college roommates and floor mates.

But Facebook is fun and addicting and keeps me in touch with friends in a much more relaxed and “let it all hang out” kind of way. So I poke, I send smiles, I update my status and comment on others’ status, too.

And then one day a light bulb flashed bright neon.
I updated my status about a work project with which I was struggling. I got a number of comments and messages from people across the globe (yes, I even reconnected with friends who are no longer in the United States). Some offered to take my mind off the project, while others asked, “What exactly do you do for a living?”

Several of those inquiring about my professional exploits were people I have known for more than 40 years. One is part of my bi-monthly hiking group.
Picture that light bulb getting brighter and brighter.


Just click on the Logo above for a no-strings TEST DRIVE

I realized that, if my friends have no clue what I do, then I do a really bad job of networking with the people I have known the longest. And the people who, presumably, know me the best.

I explained what I do to those who asked. Not in a 60-second elevator speech kind of way, but a less polished, more friendly manner. I told them about the kinds of clients
I have and what kind of work I like to do best.

And my efforts turned into referrals. Two so far, amounting in about $20,000 worth of business. Imagine what would have happened if I never said a word about anything I do professionally on my "fun page."

So the lesson of the story is this:
  1. Nothing is ever strictly for fun. There are always business ramifications involved.

  2. Make sure your closest and oldest friends know what you do. You may think they do, but there is a good chance they have a vague idea and nothing more.

  3. No matter how good you think you are at keeping in contact, you can always do better.



__________________________________________________________________

Danielle Lum is the president of NK Design, Inc., a public relations, advertising, and marketing company in Honolulu. A boutique agency, NK Design specializes in assisting small and new businesses to create memorable message strategies and reach potential customers.

Learn more about Danielle and NK Design:

http://nkdesignhawaii.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nkdesign
http://prponderings.blogspot.com/




_______________________________________________________

Posted to THE NATIONAL NETWORKER.



To subscribe for your free newsletter, go to www.TheNationalNetworker.com.

For the complete National Networker Relationship Capital Toolkit and a free, continuous RSS feed (available either by traditional RSS or by direct email), go to: http://thenationalnetworkerweblog.blogspot.com.


You are also invited to click our buttons:



Subscribe to THE NATIONAL NETWORKER

Link To THE NATIONAL NETWORKER

The NATIONAL NETWORKER Toolkit

TNNW WEBSITE
Forward/Share This Article With Colleagues And Social Media:
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Blog Archive

BNI News Feed

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy
The Emergence of the Relationship Economy features TNNWC Founder, Adam J. Kovitz as a contributing author and contains some of his early work on The Laws of Relationship Capital. The book is available in hardcopy and e-book formats. With a forward written by Doc Searls (of Cluetrain Manifesto fame), it is considered a "must read" for anyone responsible for the strategic direction of their business. If you would like to purchase your own copy, please click the image above.

Knowledge@Wharton













Site Credits:


Featured in Alltop
ALLTOP Business
News Wire. HOT.
Cool Javascript codes for websites
KeepandShare.com(R)  Fabulous Free Calendars

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com