TNNWC ENTREPRENEURIAL PUBLICATIONS

TNNWC Publications And Informational Products Division publishes The National Networker (TNNWC) Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report especially for entrepreneurs and early-stage venturers; free weekly subscriptions to these informative publications are available online to all entrepreneurial Members of TNNWC.

Membership in TNNWC is free (it's automatic for any subscriber to any TNNWC Publication) and available at our website. When you arrive there, just click on any of the JOIN US or BECOME a MEMBER buttons or links.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Daily Flip Guy, Jim Kukral Sings Happy Birthday

foundercontact group

By Lydia Sugarman

Entrepreneurial Editor

Lydia's article is brought to you by foundercontact group

This month’s installment represents a big shift that I hope you’ll appreciate and please, let the emails fly with your feedback sugarman@venntive.com!


We’ve had the privilege of interviewing entrepreneurs in the trenches. Now, we’ll be bringing you interviews of entrepreneurs who happen to have created businesses advising entrepreneurs on how to use every available tool to build in success.


We’ll get to read their personal stories as well as tap into their specific expertise. People like Dave Lakhani, Dr. Kevin Hogan, Edith Yeung, Deborah and J.P. Micek, and Ben Mack.


Some of you may already be familiar with Jim Kukral’s blog, newsletters, interviews, speaking, always looking for new toys to make it easier to get his messages out to his followers, sole bread winner for a family of four. In his words, he’s a geek marketer. To us, he’s one hard working entrepreneur who’s also taught himself to play the ukelele recently and will sing “Happy Birthday” to you. He disseminates a tremendous amount of useful information while maintaining his sense of humor.


Back in mid-July, he published a great interview with Suzanne Mulville where they discussed what makes an entrepreneur and I knew I needed to interview Jim for this column. I strongly enourage you to take the 18:30 minutes to listen to the interview at http://www.jimkukral.com/can-you-become-an-entrepreneur/, before or after reading this interview.


We are hoping to bring you an interview with Suzanne next month.


In the meantime, here’s Jim! Enjoy! And, please send me your comments and questions you want me to ask upcoming interviewees.


1. Please tell us a little about yourself, personally and professionally.


I'm a big time Internet geek. More specifically, a web marketing geek really. I'm a web marketer, speaker, long-time award-winning blogger, customer evangelist, writer, online monetization expert, and well, a bunch of other things.


For years I've been working on the bleeding edge of web marketing and

business. From owning my own web firms to consulting for some of the world’s largest companies, I've experienced just about everything web related you can think of. That’s why I've become one of the Industry’s most sought after consultants and public speakers.


My main focus is on helping businesses and brands find success online. Whether that’s through providing expert advice for the firm that can’t figure out how to get their web strategy right, or helping a business achieve more publicity, sales or leads, I have the experience and knowledge to get it done right the first time.


2. What makes an entrepreneur and what does it mean to be an entrepreneur?


It's such a cliché to say, but it takes passion. And you have to be able to take some risks too. For me, being an entrepreneur is all about flexibility and avoiding that 9-5 job where I'm doing something I don't enjoy. Not everyone is an entrepreneur.


3. Many people I’ve met were influenced at a very early age to follow the entrepreneurial path. Do you think entrepreneurs are “born” or can it be learned?


Sure, I think you can learn it. I think most "true" entrepreneurs will have an easier time with it though. By "true" I mean people who just have it in their blood. But you can learn it. Many new entrepreneurs learn by failure, or because they finally realize that they're not happy or "want something better". The difference between a regular person and an entrepreneur is that the entrepreneur goes for it while the regular person just dreams about it. So, if you can get the courage up to try, you can learn how.


4. Have you ever experienced a seminal networking moment that impacted you as an entrepreneur.


I realized I was an entrepreneur when I came to the conclusion that I didn't like working for other people. I really didn't like having a "boss" per say. On top of that, when my first child was born, I also realized that I didn't want to be the dad that was always working. So the clear choice for me was flexibility and working for myself gives me that. Sure, I work a lot, but I work when it's convenient to me.


5. What networking lessons can we learn from the way entrepreneurs operate?


You can never have enough contacts. Use sites like Facebook and Linkedin and build connections. You're going to need to connect with someone one day and if you have a strong network it will be much easier to do. The other way to network is to find a strong set of associates or mentors who you can trust to talk to and pitch ideas to. Whenever I have an idea, I send it to my friends and mentors and see what they have to say. It's a great reality check sometimes.


6. What have you found to work well when networking? What caveats can you offer?


Try the sites I mentioned above. Also, get out on your local scene and meet people in your city. Speak at events locally and nationally and spend time with people in your industry. Get your name out there. Don't try to be everyone's friend...don't try too hard or it may come off as you trying to sell something. Nobody wants a friend that sells them stuff.


7. Is there anything unique about networking from an entrepreneur's

perspective? Do entrepreneurs have an advantage in the networking arena?


I think all entrepreneurs think alike, so it's easy to network in a group of them because they all share the same thoughts and ideas. They also share the same pains and tribulations, so when you think about it, you're really spending time with close relatives who "know your story". They can relate, which can make the bond stronger. Avoid negative Entrepreneurs who will waste your time and energy.


8. How do you help other entrepreneurs find and network with each other in your business?


As mentioned above. Linkedin.com and Facebook.com are two huge ways to

connect. Each offers groups to join as well. Other options are to join other smaller social networks that cater to entrepreneurs and not just join... but participate. Don't sell... make friends and associates. Be transparent.

Look for local groups in your city too. Go out and meet others and help each other out. There's nothing better than finding another entrepreneur who shares your lifestyle and working together beneficially.


Now, do not pass Go, do not collect just $200, go directly to http://www.jimkukral.com. Anyone who will tell you right up front that Your Pitch Sucks! and, then offers to help you fix for a few sheckels is someone you need to know better!


And, a friendly reminder to send me emails lsugarman@venntive.com! I need your input. Just tell me what you want…


Lydia Sugarman


Forward/Share This Article With Colleagues And Social Media:
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Blog Archive

BNI News Feed

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy
The Emergence of the Relationship Economy features TNNWC Founder, Adam J. Kovitz as a contributing author and contains some of his early work on The Laws of Relationship Capital. The book is available in hardcopy and e-book formats. With a forward written by Doc Searls (of Cluetrain Manifesto fame), it is considered a "must read" for anyone responsible for the strategic direction of their business. If you would like to purchase your own copy, please click the image above.

Knowledge@Wharton













Site Credits:


Featured in Alltop
ALLTOP Business
News Wire. HOT.
Cool Javascript codes for websites
KeepandShare.com(R)  Fabulous Free Calendars

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com