TNNWC ENTREPRENEURIAL PUBLICATIONS

TNNWC Publications And Informational Products Division publishes The National Networker (TNNWC) Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report especially for entrepreneurs and early-stage venturers; free weekly subscriptions to these informative publications are available online to all entrepreneurial Members of TNNWC.

Membership in TNNWC is free (it's automatic for any subscriber to any TNNWC Publication) and available at our website. When you arrive there, just click on any of the JOIN US or BECOME a MEMBER buttons or links.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Fly Like A Bumblebee

foundercontact group

By Lydia Sugarman

Entrepreneurial Editor

Lydia's article is brought to you by foundercontact group

Joshua Brinen is one of those brilliant lawyers any large law firm would be thrilled to have. However, very early on after a stint as a corporate lawyer for dotcoms that no longer exist, he knew his career path lay in founding and building his own firm his way.

To say that Joshua is bigger than life is no exaggeration. We met a few years ago at a business Development Institute cocktail party where his big personality immediately made an indelible impression. He also made sure to take me around and introduce me to people that he’d just met.

Joshua’s a big man in a three piece suit, gold watch fob, and fedora, the quintessential New York corporate attorney who’s brilliant at what he does. His body of knowledge is expansive, his love for his family is boundless, his integrity is unimpeachable. He brings everything he has to the table every day for his clients, friends, and family.

Yeah, he’s my attorney and how many people do you know who will tell you they love their attorneys?

We might not immediately think of attorneys as entrepreneurs, but the people who provide professional services have to get out there and network, ingratiate themselves with people, and land new business. Just like the rest of us. So, without further ado, please meet Joshua Brinen, Esq. from New York.

Oh, that detail about being from New York should clue you to his slightly sarcastic, self-deprecating manner in which he responded to our questions.

Please tell us a little about yourself, personally and professionally.

Not much to tell, I am a corporate and tax attorney in New York City. Not terribly interesting from a “cocktail party” perspective. Most people confuse what I do with what an accountant does for them. What complicates matters is that I have an undergraduate degree in accounting, I just chose to not practice accounting, but rather corporate and tax law.

As a tax lawyer, I put together deals and the structure of the deal and add value by lowering the taxable burden on the transfer of wealth or property.

I run my own corporate & tax firm here in lower Manhattan. We just moved to our more spacious offices at 7 Dey Street. We’re not just a planning shop, like so many of my colleagues, but we’re an execution shop – we have the knowledge and experience in house to do the deal, not just structure the deal. Think of us as your mechanic who also has the doctorate in mechanical engineering.

I am the proud father of two daughters – Eleanor and Francesca – and married to a wonderful artist, Luciana Mallozzi. I live in Metuchen, New Jersey, and have lived there for about a year, having left my long-time residence in Greenwich Village.

What is the single biggest reason you have followed an entrepreneurial path?

I am a bad employee. It took me almost eight years to figure that rather obvious fact out, but I am a horrid employee. I had no good role models – both my parents and my closest uncle were all small business owners. I never had relatives who knew how to instruct me on how to be an employee.

Was there a signature event as you were growing up?

My father teaching me a very important lesson – that I would not value things if I did not achieve them on my own. I had gotten my license and all of my friends were getting new cars from their parents. I got my dad’s old car. He explained it to me as: “if I just give it to you, I’d be taking the joy from you when you earned it.” And he was right.

He did not, however, impart the same lesson on my two younger brothers.

Are entrepreneurs born or can learn along the way?

Born and learned. They are born into it by watching friends and family run their own businesses. I also believe that it can be learned. Not at conferences run by scam artists telling you about sequence and spouting meaningless jingoism but out of necessity and hard knocks. We all have to make our rent. When life gets tough enough, I think we all step up to the plate and make it work.

What makes entrepreneurs different?

A fundamental understanding that no matter what we do, no matter what service or product we provide, we are essentially salespeople. We all – to some extent – get a rush from making the close. And we’re all closing, all the time.

Also, we’re a little thick in the head, and that thickness allows us to fly like a bumblebee. Bumblebees don’t know that aerodynamically that can’t fly. If you explain it to one, they will just drop out of the sky. ;) So, in the ignorance, the bumblebee flies.

What do you think are the qualities/characteristics that make entrepreneurs different?

I think to be a successful entrepreneur you need to have a certain amount of stick-to-it-ness, a determination to succeed that exceeds a normal, sensible person’s perspective. Entrepreneurs keep pressing. I often ask a potential associate why we do what we do. The honest ones say: “to make money.” I then ask them: “what do you do when we don’t make money?” The right answer is: “Keep working until we get to a place to make money.”

Do entrepreneurs network differently? What networking lessons can others learn from entrepreneurs?

A successful entrepreneur knows that to network effectively you have to network generously – it can’t be about you. You have to bring, not just bring an open hand.

What have you found to work well when networking?

I find that being generous when networking has worked well with me. I also like to network with a buddy. With a buddy, you never have to speak well about yourself, they’ll do it for you, and you can do it for them. It’s just like having a wingman from my single days.

What caveats can you offer?

Don’t stalk, and don’t linger. If someone doesn’t engage, move on. Don’t be desperate. And don’t be a wallflower. Be a specific, and be focused.

What's unique about networking from an entrepreneur's perspective?

Networking is the life-blood of sales. Especially in a service industry such as mine.

Do entrepreneurs have an advantage in the networking arena?

I think that entrepreneurs are more focused in networking, and what we’re looking for in the meet and greet. I also think that since entrepreneurs are a lonely group, I think that the thought of going out and meeting other like-minded people.

What is the “successful” model for a master networker?

I think the successful model for a master networker is to develop relationships. A good model is to have each outing generate one sale and one vendor. The model I use is to have a set number of people to meet in each outing. I would then qualify them, and send letters to the better prospect for both people who’s services I need and who may need my services. To those that respond, we meet. If the meeting goes well, go forward.

What are the primary goals for most networkers?

Most networkers are looking for sales.

Do you feel these differ from those of an entrepreneur?

I think the entrepreneur looks not only for sales, but also for vendors and partners when networking.

How do you help other entrepreneurs find and network with each other in your business?

I can’t express how much that I believe in the “good karma” theory of networking. If you do for someone else, the universe will send back to you tenfold.

That being said, if you have a legal question, are looking for a great attorney, or a great accountant (Joshua has saved me a lot of money, both in a lower tax bite, but also in fees.), don’t hesitate to contact him.

Joshua D. Brinen, Esq.
Brinen & Associates, LLC

www.brinenlaw.com

7 Dey Street, Suite 1503

New York, New York 10007

Telephone (212) 330-8151

Facsimile (212) 202-5330

www.brinenlaw.com

jbrinen@brinenlaw.com


Forward/Share This Article With Colleagues And Social Media:
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Blog Archive

BNI News Feed

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy

The Emergence of The Relationship Economy
The Emergence of the Relationship Economy features TNNWC Founder, Adam J. Kovitz as a contributing author and contains some of his early work on The Laws of Relationship Capital. The book is available in hardcopy and e-book formats. With a forward written by Doc Searls (of Cluetrain Manifesto fame), it is considered a "must read" for anyone responsible for the strategic direction of their business. If you would like to purchase your own copy, please click the image above.

Knowledge@Wharton













Site Credits:


Featured in Alltop
ALLTOP Business
News Wire. HOT.
Cool Javascript codes for websites
KeepandShare.com(R)  Fabulous Free Calendars

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com